Choosing the right photographer to capture your precious wedding can be pretty overwhelming, especially when it seems like there’s hundreds of amazing photographers out there!
I’ve narrowed down 10 questions (which was pretty challenging to be honest, there’s WAY more questions I could’ve included) to ask the wedding photographers you meet with.
I always recommend meeting with several photographers! You may find a few whose style you really like, then realize after meeting that you don’t vibe well together. It’s always good to meet with a few potential photographers!
Get your pen and notepad out, and get ready to interview some photographers!
1. How many weddings have you photographed?
- Unless you’re okay with hiring a newbie/student (which is totally fine if that’s what you want), you’re going to want to hire a photographer who’s been there, done that. There is no substitute for experience.
2. What happens if it rains?
- Every photographer EVER has a backup plan in case it rains.
- A photographer has to be flexible for situations where they planned on doing your portraits outside in a beautiful garden, but realistically will have to shoot indoors.
3. Do you have a contract?
- Pro tip: you should be signing a contract with every one of your professionals for your wedding day.
- If your photographer doesn’t require a signed contract to book your date, or offers you a discount for NOT signing one- oh, girl. RUN.
- Contracts are in place to protect BOTH you and the person you’re hiring. If you’re unsure about something in the contract, just ask. Seriously, just ask.
4. Who will the second photographer be?
- Most wedding photographers have a handful of other wedding photographers that they love working with, and who your photographer chooses will depend on the second photographer’s availability on your wedding date.
5. Do you have backup equipment?
- What happens if your photographer’s only camera breaks down halfway during the ceremony? It seems unlikely, but it happens. For real. Our gear takes a lot of wear and tear, which is why we have backups of the most important equipment, like cameras, flashes, and batteries (so, SO many batteries…)
6. How far in advance do I have to book?
- Every photographer’s answer will be different depending on their business’ policies and preferences.
- Photographers who offer engagement sessions as part of a wedding package will likely want to book sooner rather than later. Keep this in mind if you’re wanting an engagement session.
7. Can you recommend places to photograph formal portraits?
- Except in the case of a destination/international wedding, photographer’s have favourite go-to locations for those gorgeous portraits we create for our couples.
8. How many images do I receive from you?
- Again, this answer will vary depending on the photographer, and if they work with a second shooter.
- My general rule of thumb is 50-60 images per hour of coverage, including a second shooter.
9. What type of editing is done to the images?
- There is a difference between “editing” and “Photoshopped”. I actually rarely Photoshop my images, unless I’m doing something complex. The rest of the time, I use Lightroom exclusively.
- Make sure the photographer you hire has a clear, defined, and consistent style that you LOVE.
10. How long does it take to get my wedding photos back?
- I have seen turnaround times from photographers all across the board- anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks!
- My personal turnaround time is 3-4 weeks during regular season, and 5-6 weeks during busy season.
Click here to leave a comment